At the heart of every success are vital partnerships with the people we support throughout our network of agencies, their families, our staff, government, corporations, supporters and volunteers.
While we have made progress in enhancing the lives of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, we know there is so much more to be done.
The climate is changing in so many different ways:
- We can no longer rely on government funding to sustain our service system.
- Nationally, there is a move from fee-for-service models to Medicaid managed care.
- We recognize that people's lives change and that our supports need to allign with what people want at different stages of life.
- Our commitment to person centered planning and participation in ongoing conversations with the people we support to ensure we are helping them achieve the life they desire.
- Outcomes must be measurable.
To address some of the challenges which lie ahead, our initiatives include:
- Find employment opportunities for people who are trained and work ready.
- Create new residential models to meet the growing wait list, as well as provide people with the opportunity to move into more independent settings.
- Continue to meet the needs of people who are aging by providing health care, accessible homes, community access and anything a senior citizen would want in life.
There are many ways you can get involved:
- Provide financial support by giving.
- Join our ongoing Advocacy efforts, which range from contacting your federal, state or local representatives or speaking at a community hearing or other public meeting.
- Provide a job or mentor an person so that they can enter the competitive workforce.
- Join our annual Central Park Challenge.
- Volunteer in one of our programs.
- Share your contacts so we can raise more awareness about the rights and abilities of the people we support.
Take the first step, Contact Us today. We look forward to welcoming you to the YAI Family.