Last modified: March 31, 2021
This policy describes:
- The types of information we may collect or that you may provide when you download, install, access, or use the Site.
- Our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
This policy applies only to information we collect in this Site and in email, text, and other electronic communications sent through or in connection with this Site.
Children Under the Age of 18
The Site is not intended for people under 18 years of age, and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information (defined below) from people under 18. If we learn we have collected or received Personal Information from someone under 18 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from a person under 18 (without parental consent), please contact Margarita Gerzhgorina Director of Compliance and Ethics, at 212.273.6326 or margarita.gerzhgorina [at] yai.org.
Information We Collect and How We Collect It
We collect information from and about users of our Site:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- Automatically when you use the Site.
Information You Provide to Us
When you complete forms to be a volunteer, complete forms to donate to YAI, communicate with us or otherwise use this Site, we may ask you to provide information:
- By which you may be personally identified, such as your name, address, email address, phone number, date of birth or any other information the Site collects that is defined as personal or personally identifiable information under an applicable law ("Personal Information").
- That is about you but individually does not identify you.
This information includes records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with our Site, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our Site, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Site.
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
The information we collect automatically is only statistical data and does not include Personal Information, but we may maintain it or associate it with Personal Information we collect in other ways. It helps us to improve our Site and to deliver a better and more personalized service.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- If you want to change your cookie preferences or withdraw from the cookie consent, you can modify your option on the cookie declaration page.
- Web Beacons. Pages of our the Site may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit YAI, for example, to count users who have visited those pages.
How We Use Your Information
We may use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any Personal Information, to:
- Provide you with the Site and its contents, and any other information, products or services that you request from us.
- Respond to emails you send to us.
- Fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- Notify you when Site updates are available, and of changes to any services or products we offer or provide though it.
In addition, YAI may use information provided by users for personalization, identification, statistics, marketing, and to send them information, newsletters, and notifications about important changes or upgrades to the Site or about services or products furnished by or through the efforts of YAI. We may also use users’ personally identifiable information for our internal business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing and improving service offerings, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns, and operating and expanding our business activities.
The usage information we collect helps us to improve our Site and to deliver a better and more personalized experience by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Site according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you use the Site.
YAI may use the non-personally identifiable information we collect as described above for any purpose, except where we are prohibited to do so under applicable law.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual or device, without restriction.
In addition, we may disclose Personal Information that we collect or you provide:
- To our subsidiaries and affiliates.
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep Personal Information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
- To a successor in the event of a merger, sale, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of YAI's assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which Personal Information held by YAI about our Site users is among the assets transferred.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of YAI or others.
We will not otherwise intentionally disclose your personally identifiable information to anyone outside YAI without prior notice to you. YAI will also take reasonable steps to prevent the accidental disclosure of this information. We will use our commercially reasonable efforts to prohibit those with whom we share your Personal Information from selling or redistributing it, but can give no assurance in this regard.
Changing Personally Identifiable Information
Users may update, correct, or change their profiles by sending e-mail through our contact page. Users may change this information at any time and as often as necessary. Users may stop all collection of their information at any time by discontinuing their use of the Site.
It is YAI's policy to respect our users’ requests not to receive e-mail or direct mailed information distributed by YAI. To be excluded from receiving information, newsletters, and notifications about services or products provided by or through the efforts of YAI please send an email to communications [at] yai.org. When it is necessary to notify users of a change in the Site’s service, YAI reserves the right to notify its users by e-mail even if users have completed “opt out” forms across the Site.
Do Not Track
The Site may contain links to other websites. YAI is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites or any website that may provide a link to the Site. YAI encourages you to review the privacy statements or policies of such websites before submitting any information to them.
We use social buttons provided by services like Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, YouTube and Facebook. Third-party cookies used from other websites like YouTube and Google are read by those sites and not YAI’s site. Those cookies accumulate information about some of the user’s data which help with tracking analytics. Your use of these third-party services is entirely optional. We are not responsible for the privacy policies and/or practices of these third-party services, and you are responsible for reading and understanding those third-party services’ privacy policies.
Other than as discussed above, we don’t share your Personal Information with third parties. Only aggregated, anonymized data is periodically transmitted to external services to help us improve our services. We currently use Google Analytics (traffic analysis, SEO optimization), Mailchimp (mailing list management), and Hotjar (behavior analytics).
Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, California law may provide you with additional rights regarding our use of your Personal Information. California's "Shine the Light" law (Civil Code Section §1798.83) permits users of our Site that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to communications [at] yai.org or write us at 220 East 42nd Street, 8th Floor, New York, New York 10017-5803.
The Site is controlled and operated by YAI from the United States and is not intended to subject YAI to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country or territory other than that of the United States.
We have implemented reasonable measures designed to secure your Personal Information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers behind firewalls.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet and mobile platforms is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee the security of your Personal Information transmitted through our Site. Any transmission of Personal Information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures we provide.
Agent: Director of Compliance and Ethics
E-mail: Margarita Gerzhgorina
Attn: Margarita Gerzhgorina
220 East 42nd Street, 8th Floor
New York, New York 10017-5803