Leisure Trax is a vacation program that provides opportunities for adults with developmental and intellectual disabilities to cultivate their curiosity about different places and experience new sights, sounds, tastes, and customs through day trips in their local communities to locations around the world. Leisure Trax offers travel opportunities, including weekend trips and extended vacations with domestic and international destinations.
We go to great lengths to create opportunities for travelers to connect with people, places, and pastimes; enabling travelers to learn about themselves and others, and enhance their enjoyment of life.
Each trip is staffed with the support of one staff member to every three travelers. Free travel (some trips) offered to eligible people who reside in the Bronx.
PEOPLE WHO TRAVEL WITH LEISURE TRAX
- Enjoy exploring the world in a small group setting
- Are open to new experiences, people, places, and cultures
- Are respectful and considerate of others
- Are at least 18 years old
- May have certain medical conditions that do not impair their safety or welfare during their vacation
- May use adaptive devices such as wheelchairs or walkers. Support around transfers is explored on a per person and per trip basis
THINGS TO KNOW
These all inclusive trips include food, staffing, lodging, tips, all activities, and roundtrip transportation from NYC. The only things you’ll need to budget for beyond the cost of the trip are; alcoholic beverages, personal souvenirs or gambling. We also maintain a Flickr album showing shots from your trip and send you a photo souvenir to help tell your travel story to others.
- Day trips cost anywhere between $35-$125 and overnight, $800-$4,000. Typically an overnight trip costs $250 per day of the trip.
- Most travelers pay for trips on a payment plan. To register for a trip a deposit is required.
- There is some supplemental funding (resort trips only) for eligible individuals who live with family members in the five boroughs.
- We do have a small Medicaid Waiver contract which provides eligible travelers from the Bronx who live with their families for day and overnight trips.
Leisure Trax aims to support all different types of people with their travel goals. The benefit of a small travel program is our travelers get to know YAI's staff team and our team gets to know the travelers. During registration we discuss the level of support provided on each trip to ensure that each person feels comfortable and supported. We respect independence and choice by providing traveler’s activity options before and during the trip (such as ports of call options on a cruise). We create our itinerary around traveler interests and aim to find a balance between planning in advance as well individual and group choice.
We are a group of high energy professionals who are passionate about what we do. We come from a variety of different fields, from social workers to educators, direct service professionals, and health care providers. We love new experiences, new people and providing outstanding customer service to Leisure Trax members.
Each trip is staffed with the support of one staff member to every three travelers and often we are at a higher ratio than that. During overnight trips Leisure Trax has a medical staff member or nurse to support individuals with prescription medication or over the counter medication as needed. We aim to be respectful of each traveler’s independence and remain flexible and open to doing so each trip. Staff may provide support to travelers in the area of navigating the community, self care such as sorting laundry, shaving or bathing, budgeting, and money management while still ensuring health & safety.
We usually release a trip brochure at least 2x per year which is sent to all travelers and professionals on our mailing list. We also update our website with the most current information as well!